Lucy Craft Laney High School is a school rich in tradition and heritage. In 1949, A. R. Johnson and Haines Normal and Industrial Institute came together to form what is now known as Lucy Craft Laney Comprehensive High School. This combination merged what was seen as the best of both schools and with that, Laney derived the mascot, the "Wildcat" and the school colors of Red and Grey.
In the summer of 1951, the old building was torn down on the Haines site and the new building was started. During the construction, school was held at another site until the new school was completed.
In September 1953, Lucy Laney High School moved into its new building with Mr. C. W. Johnson as Principal. In 1964, the Music Building was added with spacious new choral and band rooms.
In 1981, renovations were made to the building to update the library facilities and the main offices. Air conditioning was installed.
The 1996-97 school year began an approximately seven million-dollar renovation for school improvements. The new construction resulted in the addition of ten new classrooms, including a technology lab, a new media center, the expansion of the gym with a concession area and new restrooms and new furnishings. The new facilities were completed during the 1997-98 school year.
On April 13, 1998, Haines Alumni Association, Inc., Lucy Laney's Alumni and the school celebrated Miss Laney's Birthday and Open House. This event was marked with the lighting of the "Eternal Flame" on Miss Laney's grave. The Haines Alumni Association, Inc., donated the "Eternal Flame". During the program, the staff, alumni, students, along with the Lucy Craft Laney High School community, committed to keeping the Laney Legacy alive. The Lucy Craft Laney High School family was honored to be in attendance for the unveiling ceremony of a bust of Miss Laney. The program was presented by the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., in the gymnasium on October 9, 1998. Present for this occasion were the following guests: Major Larry Sconyers and Superintendent Dr. Charles Larke. The artist of the bust, Mr. Norman Hughes, designed a one-of-a kind masterpiece, and through his work he captured the essence of Miss Laney's spirit.